Our Clean Eating Haul – I’m So Excited!

Standard

Our Clean Eating Haul

So a few months back our family decided to drastically change the way that we eat. Last month was a definite step in the right direction, but this month is like a million more steps in that direction. I feel so much better with what was purchased this month, over the last. I estimate that 90% of what we purchased this month is clean. The other 10% I want to work on finding healthier alternatives for too. We’ve also decided to go gluten free this month, and most of what we purchased is. I was surprised by how easy it was for me to find coupons for gluten free items, and I was even more surprised by how easy it was to find them in our grocery store.

I am most excited about all of the fresh produce that we purchased. We did end up going $58 over our food budget, but I am ok with that, knowing how healthfully we’ll all eat this month. Here is a picture of our refrigerator. It has NEVER before looked this good. I am BEYOND pleased with how much we managed to get, for the price that we paid. It’s all so fresh and lovely!

001

It’s hard to see in the top left corner, but there is fresh green beans, asparagus, red leaf lettuce, zucchini, yellow squash, strawberries, blueberries, eggs, cucumbers, milk, apples, pine nut hummus, sour cream (for our homemade healthified nachos), orange/mango juice, prune juice, broccoli slaw, celery, carrots, chobani yogurts in assorted flavors, cheese, lemons, onions, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and potatoes. And on the counter there are bananas, pineapples & oranges too. Also in our freezer there are some frozen peas, broccoli, and peaches. And in my pantry is a bag of coconut sugar, no sugar added Strawberry jam, and various spices.

002

We were also able to get lots of healthy nuts, seeds, and assorted goods too. On this shelf I have raw cashews, raw sunflower seeds, unsalted pepitos, unsweetened coconut, kelp powder, cashew butter, almond butter, flax seed, cocoa coated almonds, papaya chunks, dried kiwi, carob chips, chocolate chips, moist dates, and yummy figs. Not pictured is a large container of delicious coconut oil! Mmmmm!

003

I also wanted to drastically clean up my children’s snacks for school. These include gluten free items like Blue Diamond’s Nut Thins, Van’s crackers, Lundberg’s Rice Chips, Blue Diamond Baked Nut Chips, Sensible Portions Potato Straws, Florida’s Natural au’some Nuggets, Van’s whole grain Snack Bars, and Enjoy Life’s Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies (yes, I was weak) and some yummy dehydrated veggie crips. We also have a handful of snack items that are not gluten free, including the animal crackers & Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies we purchased.

004

We also purchased some different types of Tinkyada gluten free pastas, which I am really looking forward to making some different things with.

gfflour

We also purchased this mammoth sized 25lb bag of Gluten Free All Purpose Flour today, in hopes that I can come up with a delicious gluten free bread recipe that we all love and adore. It felt so strange not purchasing bread at the store today, but strange in a good sort of way! I had hoped to get the Bob’s Red Mill GF Wonderful Bread Mix instead, but alas, they did not have it, so I settled for this. I figured that this $48 bag of flour will still be so much cheaper than purchasing either premade loaves of GF bread, or even the single mixes that I was looking at too. I’m all about the overall cost savings! Now I just have to clean up my half gallon jars that I love so much, and I will be able to store oodles of this in those. I will probably freeze the rest until my jars need refilling.

Well there you have it. That is our shopping trip in a nutshell. It is a sacrifice of both time and gas for us to eat healthfully. It’s a 45 minute drive one way to the bulk foods store that we go to, but I know that in the end, all of our health’s will benefit greatly from it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s