The original recipe for this can be found here. I decided to change it up a bit, and I will include vegan options in this post too.
This comes out more like an oatmeal cake, and this was not sweet AT ALL, so you may want to add a drizzle of agave nectar over top of it, or any other syrup sweetener of your choice. My kids loved it that way, and I loved that they were getting something healthy in their bellies, since this recipe contains no processed sugars of any kind, and no other grains besides the oats.
Coconut Baked Oatmeal
What you’ll need:
* 1/2 cup coconut oil
* 1/2 cup butter (vegan option use Earth Balance Spread instead, or you could even use all coconut oil)
* 6 cups rolled oats/quick cooking kind
* 1 cup coconut milk
* 1 cup dairy milk (vegan option use almond milk instead, or all coconut milk)
* 2/3 cup honey (vegan option use agave nectar instead or syrup sweetener of your choice)
* 4 eggs (vegan option use flax eggs)
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (next time I will be doubling this amount, since I couldn’t taste it in there at all)
* 3 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
* 1 tsp vanilla extract (you could try doubling this also if you’d like)
What you’ll do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Melt coconut oil and butter/buttery spread over low heat. In a bowl, mix oats, milk/s, honey/agave nectar, eggs/flax eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil and butter/buttery spread. Mix in salt, cinnamon and baking powder last. Mix well, pour into baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!